Star Wars: The Old Republic (also known by its acronym SWTOR) is a massively multiplayer online role-playing video game based on the fictional Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. The game was developed by BioWare Austin and a complementary team at BioWare Edmonton.
The title of the game as well as the start of its development was first announced on October 21, 2008, at an invitation-only press event, although the first official announcement of it was made on October 30, 2007 at a press conference, but very vaguely and without a title or further details.
The game is set in the era of the Old Republic, three hundred years after the events of Knights of the Old Republic and 3600 years before the events of the movies, according to the official Star Wars chronology.
The story itself consists of the emergence of a new Sith empire which begins a process of conquest of the planet ruled by the Jedi, the land of the galaxies (Earth-like planet) where peace and order of the Republic reign throughout the galaxy to the point of attacking the capital of the Republic, forcing it to sign a treaty to be known as the Treaty of Coruscant.
After the signing of this treaty, a period of relative peace begins, but both sides continue to monitor the actions of the other with the possibility of war starting again.
Star Wars: The Old Republic (which takes place almost 4000 years before the battle of Yavin 4 where Luke Skywalker blew up the first Death Star and earned the position of Commander of the Rebellion) has a cast of characters that will determine the story of the game.
Each of them has been assigned the side in which they will fight and the official SWTOR page has divided them into three sides: those belonging to the Galactic Republic, those belonging to the Sith Empire and the independents, who can join one side or the other.
- Satele Shan: Female Jedi Knight. According to The Old Republic, she holds the title of Jedi Grandmaster being the youngest person in the history of the Jedi to obtain it, she is a direct descendant of Bastila Shan and Revan, both characters from KOTOR, but has a very different character from her. She first appears in the Hope trailer fighting Darth Malgus in the Battle of Alderaan.
- Supreme Chancellor Janarus: Leader of the Republic in the times of SWTOR, former senator of Coruscant, he came to power thanks to his leadership in the sacking of the capital city, he carries great pressures ruling a republic on the verge of collapse, however he has accepted that burden gladly, he believes that the values of the republic, freedom and self-government are the effective tool to face the Sith Empire.
- Diab Duin: Diplomat, he is a person of few words, pessimistic and convinced that the republic is on the verge of disappearing, but turns out to be more thoughtful and independent than the others.
- T7-01: It is a peculiar and stubborn droid that has been working for more than two centuries, has a detailed record of all the missions it has carried in its 200 years of existence, has developed a special character for it and has been in the service of senators, spies, smugglers and even Jedi knights.
- General Garza: Commander of the Republic forces, she is one of the most experienced officers there is, a woman of strong character but of great experience, she has a brilliant tactical and strategic genius and has been a support for the Republic against the Sith.
- Darth Malgus: Dark Lord of the Sith, powerful front-line warrior. Malgus is famous for his attack on Coruscant, destroying the Jedi Temple and killing a large number of Jedi Masters. He possesses enormous intelligence and has led expeditions into the Unknown Regions. He is considered a dissident voice in the dark council of the Sith, and has made many enemies.
- Darth Jadus: Enigmatic and powerful lord of the Sith, he possesses a personality distinct from his peers: cold and calculating, he is not given to anger like the other Sith. He is the leader of a network of spies in the service of the Empire, but like Malgus he has earned many enemies.
- Keeper: He is the chief of the best spies of the empire, responsible for the actions of the agents, he has kept his position for more than a decade, he is cruel and ruthless, but he has to be if he does not want to lose his position in the Sith empire.
- Grand Moff Kilran: He is the supreme commander of the Imperial forces, cruel, charismatic and intelligent has led the Imperial forces to more than one victory with his military tactics which earned him the victory in the battle of Coruscant earning him the nickname of the Butcher of Coruscant among the civilians of the Republic.
- Khem Val: It is a strange being that has been alive for centuries, at one time served Tulak Hor, one of the Sith lords of the past, has a great reputation for devouring many Jedi during the centuries of its existence, psychologically has no notion of time passing.